Afghanistan: Suicide blast in Jalalabad city kills 18
Jalalabad, June 17 (IBNS): At least 18 people were killed in a suicide bombing in Jalalabad city of Afghanistan on Sunday, media reports said.
The blast left 45 others injured.
A suicide bomber detonated his explosives close to the governor’s compound in Jalalabad city in eastern Nangarhar province on Sunday afternoon, local officials confirmed, reported Tolo News.
According to reports, the blast occurred in PD1 in Jalalabad at about 3pm local time.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
Nangarhar death toll touches 36:
The death toll in the suicide bombing at a gathering of Taliban and Afghan forces in the eastern city of Nangarhar in Afghanistan on Saturday has touched 36, media reports said on Sunday.
Public Health Director Najibullah Kamawal confirmed to Pajhwok 36 people had been killed and over sixty injured in the blast.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The attack took place at a time when Afghan soldiers and Taliban members were celebrating an unprecedented Eid ceasefire.
According to reports, a car blew up at a gathering of Afghan and Taliban forces to celebrate Eid and injured about 54 people.
The casualties include civilians, Afghan army and Taliban forces
Following the attack, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced the government's extension of a ceasefire with the Taliban.
In a television address to the nation, Ghani urged the Taliban to also extend the truce, which is due to expire on Sunday.