June 25, 2024 10:59 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Replace Mumbai unit chief: Maharashtra Congress leaders write to Mallikarjun Kharge | 'Do I have to sweep the streets now?' Mamata Banerjee pulls up civic body chiefs | Jhansi: Woman shot dead by ex-boyfriend while getting bridal make-up hours before wedding | 'Are you defending LG?' Supreme Court slams authorities on Delhi tree cutting | INDIA bloc protests in Parliament premise 'to save democracy'
Turkey: Suspect arrested hours after blast rocks Istanbul
Istanbul Blast
@firatfstk twitter page

Turkey: Suspect arrested hours after blast rocks Istanbul

| @indiablooms | 14 Nov 2022, 08:51 am

Istanbul: Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said the suspect who planted the bomb which exploded in Istanbul's busy Istiklal Street on Sunday, which left six people dead and over 80 others hurt, has been detained.

"The person who planted the bomb was detained by the Istanbul Police Department. Before that, about 21 more people had been detained," Soylu was quoted as saying by TRT World.

Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca told TRT World 39 out of 81 people who were wounded during the suspected terror attack were discharged from the hospital.

“Five of the 42 wounded are in the intensive care unit, two of them in critical condition,” Koca said.

The blast occurred at around 4:20 pm local time.

Security personnel and emergency service providers rushed to the spot after the blast.

Several footage of the venue and the moment of the blast are currently circulating on the social media.

Based on initial information from Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the explosion could be an act of terrorism, reports TRT World.

"It would be wrong to say this is undoubtedly a terrorist attack, but the initial developments and initial intelligence from my governor is that it smells like terrorism," Erdogan said.

Meanwhile, India condemned the blast as MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi tweeted: "India conveys its deepest condolences to the Government and people of Türkiye on the tragic loss of lives in the blast that took place in Istanbul today. Our sympathies are also with those who sustained injuries. We wish them a speedy recovery."

Check out the moment of the blast as posted by Twitter users:

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.