July 14, 2020 02:47 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Coronavirus crisis to get 'worse and worse and worse,' WHO chief warns | Rajasthan crisis deepens, Congress invites Sachin Pilot for meeting tomorrow | PM Modi interacts with Google CEO Sundar Pichai, discusses COVID-19 pandemic | Bengal: Deputy Magistrate Debdutta Ray becomes first government official to die of Covid-19 | Supreme Court allows Travancore royal family to manage Padmanabhaswamy temple
China bracing for another COVID-19 wave: Authority put Shulan under Wuhan-like lockdown
Unsplash

China bracing for another COVID-19 wave: Authority put Shulan under Wuhan-like lockdown

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 19 May 2020, 12:20 pm

Beijing/IBNS: It seems that China is still struggling to cope up with the COVID-19 scenario as Wuhan like lockdown has been imposed in north-eastern city of Shulan where an outbreak of the deadly virus has been reported.

About 700,000 people stay in the town.

"All villages and residential compounds in the city were closed off, and only one person from each household allowed out for two hours every second day for essentials," The Guardian reported.

Last week, the city was reclassified as high risk after a cluster of cases emerged connected to a woman with no known history of travel or exposure to the virus. In response, authorities ordered the temporary closure of public places, schools and public transport, reported the newspaper.

Tough restrictions were imposed in the city since Monday morning.

The Chinese city of Wuhan had reported the first case of COVID-19 late last year.

Since then the disease has spread across the globe.

It comes as fears mount over a new wave of infections after the first case in the cluster was reported in Shulan two weeks ago. At least 34 people have since been infected in Jilin province and three in neighbouring Liaoning, reports South China Morning Post.

Top doctor warned:

China, the country from where the disease is believed to have originated, might be facing the 'big challenge' of a potential second wave of COVID-19 infection outbreak in the upcoming days, a top doctor of the country warned.

Zhong Nanshan, the Chinese government's senior medical adviser and the public face of the country's fight against Covid-19, also confirmed in an exclusive interview with CNN on Saturday that local authorities in Wuhan, the city where the novel coronavirus was first reported in December, had suppressed key details about the magnitude of the initial outbreak.

National Health Commission (NHC) earlier said China has reported over 82,000 coronavirus cases, with at least 4,633 deaths.

The country imposed lockdowns and travel bans after COVID-19 cases surged earlier this year.

As the number of cases has lowered in the country, China has eased lockdown norms in recent times.

However, fresh clusters of coronavirus cases have emerged across China recently.

"The majority of ... Chinese at the moment are still susceptible of the Covid-19 infection, because (of) a lack of immunity," Zhong told CNN.

"We are facing (a) big challenge, it's not better than the foreign countries I think at the moment," he said.

Image: Unsplash

Related Images
World in Photo : july 12 , 2020 13 Jul 2020, 11:00 am
World in Photo : july 11 , 2020 12 Jul 2020, 11:58 am
Related Videos
View this post on Instagram

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again; UNESCO regrets #HagiaSophia, #Turkey, #Istanbul, #HagiaSophiaMosqueAgain Istanbul/IBNS: Hagia Sophia, Turkey's iconic monument, a UNESCO World Heritage and one of the central attractions of its capital Istanbul, is no longer a museum. It has been turned back as a mosque though some 1500 years ago it was built as an Orthodox Christian cathedral. Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman time in 1453 while under Ataturk it was turned into a museum in 1935. The decision comes amid a growing rise of the Islamists in Turkey who had been demanding that it be restored as a mosque though Opposition leaders with secular credentials had been against the move. A top court in Turkey ruled that turning it into a museum in 1935 by modern Turkey's secular architect Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was illegal, paving the way for present Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to declare it as a mosque again and to open it for Muslim prayers. Erdogan made the announcement an hour after the court ruled the conversion to museum in 1935 as illegal and scrapped its status. "May it be beneficial," posted Erdogan on Twitter, sharing an official document on the change with his signature. UNESCO regrets In an immediate reaction, UNESCO said it "deeply regrets" the decision. UNESCO said it was "regrettable that the Turkish decision was not the subject of dialog nor notification beforehand". "UNESCO calls on the Turkish authorities to open a dialog without delay in order to avoid a step back from the universal value of this exceptional heritage whose preservation will be reviewed by the World Heritage Committee in its next session," the United Nation's cultural body said in a statement. Istanbul icon of beauty and wonderment According to Turkey's official tourism website, Hagia Sophia is a remarkable achievement in the history of architecture. and a living proof of mankind's revolt against the laws of physics and it calls it a monument whose importance transcends borders. It is one of UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage sites attracting millions of visitors across the world with its majestic grandeur

A post shared by India Blooms News Service (@indiablooms) on

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again 11 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm