May 31, 2024 00:57 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
16 die of heat-related causes in 2 hours in Bihar hospital | PM Modi reaches Kanniyakumari to meditate at Vivekananda Rock | 'Final chance to ensure our democracy is protected': Manmohan Singh's emotional appeal to voters | Liquor policy case: Delhi court seeks ED's response on Arvind Kejriwal's bail plea | Shashi Tharoor's former PA arrested at Delhi Airport in gold smuggling case, Congress leader says 'law must take its own course'
Egypt: Ban alarmed by recent mass death sentence
Photo: IRIN

Egypt: Ban alarmed by recent mass death sentence

| | 29 Apr 2014, 11:44 am
New York, Apr 29 (IBNS): United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday voiced alarmed at the news that another preliminary mass death sentence has been handed down in Egypt, where more than 680 people were reportedly on trial, a topic he will raise later this week in a meeting with the Egyptian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Nabil Fahmy.
Monday’s legal decision follows the 24 March conviction of 529 defendants on various charges, including membership of an unlawful organisation (the Muslim Brotherhood), incitement to violence, vandalism, unlawful gathering and the killing of one police officer. All the charges relate to events in August 2013 after the Government of President Mohamed Morsi was ousted.
 
“Verdicts that clearly appear not to meet basic fair trial standards, particularly those which impose the death penalty, are likely to undermine prospects for long-term stability,” Ban’s spokesperson said in a statement.
 
The Secretary-General is also conscious of the regional and security implications of such sentences, and stressed that stability in Egypt is essential for the overall stability of the entire North Africa and Middle East region.
 
Separately, the UN chief is concerned about a court case on Monday banning the activities of the ‘April 6 Youth Movement’ which mobilized support for the ousting of Hosni Mubarak in 2011 and the unseating of Morsi last year.
 
Ban “was disappointed that the appeals court on 7 April upheld the jailing of three emblematic figures of the 2011 uprising, including two founders of the youth movement,” said his spokesperson.
 
Stressing respect for the independence of the judiciary, Ban and High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay had expressed concerns before and after the law regulating protests was promulgated. They warned that it could lead to serious breaches of the right to freedom of peaceful assembly.
 
 
 (Photo: IRIN)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.