May 27, 2022 06:39 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
IAS officer transferred to Ladakh, wife to Arunachal over Delhi stadium dog walking row | Gang-rape accused injured in police firing in Assam’s Kokrajhar | Bengal govt to amend law to make CM Mamata Banerjee chancellor of state-run universities | Link your personal goals with that of country: PM Modi tells Hyderabad B-school graduates | 10 held for stone-pelting outside Yasin Malik's residence
Kashmir: Militant killed, Major injured in Baramulla encounter, operation continues Kashmir
Image Credit: UNI

Kashmir: Militant killed, Major injured in Baramulla encounter, operation continues

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 04 Sep 2020, 02:22 pm

Baramulla/UNI: An unidentified militant was killed and an Army officer injured in an encounter which ensued during a Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) in this north Kashmir district on Friday, official sources said.

Giving details about the encounter, they said on a specific information about the presence of militants, troops of Rashtriya Rifles (RR), Special Operation Group (SOG) of Jammu and Kashmir and CRPF launched a joint CASO at Yedipora, Pattan, in Baramulla in the wee hours of Friday.

All exit points were sealed and additional security forces were deployed in the adjoining areas to prevent any militant attempt to escape under the cover of darkness.

However, with the first light at 6 am, security forces launched house-to-house searches.

When the search party was moving towards a particular area in the village, militants hiding in a house opened indiscriminate firing with automatic weapons.

Security forces also retaliated ensuing in an encounter. In the initial firing by militants, a Major was injured.

Major identified as Rohit Mehra of 29 RR was later shifted to Military hospital, the sources said, adding that the operation was going when the reports last came in.

A resident said this morning security forces and police asked all residents in the nearby houses to leave for safer places.

Immediately after the resident left for safer places, exchange of fire again started after security forces moved ahead and took position in all surrounding houses.

A militant was killed. However, the body has not yet been recovered due to exchange of fire.

Meanwhile, official sources said two to three militants are holed up in the area. The operation was going on when the reports last came in.

Additional security forces and police personnel have been rushed and deployed in the nearby areas to prevent any law and order problem.