September 29, 2020 01:04 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Protest against farm bills: Tractor set on fire in Delhi, 5 arrested | NCB officers forced me to falsely implicate Karan Johar: Film Executive Kshitij Prasad on Drug Case | CASO resumes in Kashmir's Pulwama, 2 LeT militants killed so far | Kashmir: Security forces launch search operation in Budgam | Kashmir: Man injured in explosion near Anantnag encounter site, dies
Tinsukia killing: Combing ops launched ; BJP accuses Cong; ULFA (I) denies involvement

Tinsukia killing: Combing ops launched ; BJP accuses Cong; ULFA (I) denies involvement

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 02 Nov 2018, 10:21 am

Guwahati, Nov 2 (IBNS) : A day after killing of five people by unidentified gunmen at in the  Kherabari area in upper Assam’s Tinsukia district,  security forces launched massive operation along Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border to track down the culprits even as the ULF denied its involvement in the incident.

A high level security meeting was held at Sadiya involving Assam DGP Kuladhar Saikia and senior officials of Assam police and other security agencies.

A top official of Assam police said besides launching the combing operation, the  Assam police is in touch with their counterparts in Arunachal Pradesh.

Assam ministers Keshab Mahanta, Parimal Suklyabaidya and Tapan Kumar Gogoi have rushed the area and met the family members of the victims.

Meanwhile,  banned outfit ULFA (I) on Friday denied their involvement into the incident.

A press release signed by Romel Asom, Member of Publicity Depratment of ULFA (I) and  sent to the Assam media houses said, “We, the United Liberation Front of Asom (Independent) would like to make it clear to all concerned  authorities that our organisation does not have any involvement in the firing incident that occurred on 1st November, 2018 at Sadiya Saikhowaghat in Tinsukia district.”

The five victims belonged to the Bengali community.

Assam state BJP president Ranjit Kumar Dass on Friday accused the Congress saying the party's "provocative statement"over the National Register of Citizens (NRC) and Citizenship Amendment Bill has triggered Thursday's incident.

“Miscreants  attacked the innocent people following prevocative  remarks over the NRC and Citizenship bill made by some individual and some organisations,” the Assam state BJP president said.

He demanded the arrest of those who made provocative statements.

On the other hand, Assam Pradesh Congress on Friday staged a massive protest in Guwahati over the Tinsukia killing incident.

The Congress workers shouted against the BJP-led Assam government for its alleged failure to maintain law and order situation  and demanded  appropriate measures against such incidents.

The party also  demanded a CBI inquiry into the incident.

Former Assam Chief Minister and senior Congress leader Tarun Gogoi hit back at the state Government, saying that the administration has totally failed to protect the common people in the state.


(Reporting by Hemanta Kumar Nath)