May 30, 2024 12:38 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Shashi Tharoor's former PA arrested at Delhi Airport in gold smuggling case, Congress leader says 'law must take its own course' | Bihar man dies in Delhi hospital due to heat stroke amid record-breaking heatwave in national capital | Bengali film actress Rituparna Sengupta summoned by ED in ration distribution scam | Centre begins process of granting citizenship under CAA in West Bengal | Delhi govt imposes fine on car wash amid severe water crisis
Tata Consumer Products to acquire Capital Foods, the owner of Ching’s Secret and Smith & Jones brands
Tata
Photo Courtesy: Screen grab from www.capitalfoods.co.in

Tata Consumer Products to acquire Capital Foods, the owner of Ching’s Secret and Smith & Jones brands

| @indiablooms | 13 Jan 2024, 01:45 am

Mumbai: Tata Consumer Products on Friday announced its acquisition of a complete 100% stake in Capital Foods, the company that sells products under the brands Ching’s Secret and Smith & Jones, according to an exchange filing.

The acquisition is valued at Rs 5,100 crore and will be an all-cash transaction, according to the filing.

"The Board of Directors approved the acquisition of 100 percent of the issued equity share capital of Capital Foods Private Limited. The Company, thereafter, has entered into Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) and Shareholders’ Agreement (SHA) with the existing promoters and shareholders of the target company to acquire the entire issued equity share capital in a phased manner," said Tata Consumer in an exchange filing.

Estimated turnover of Capital Foods for FY 23-24 is approximately Rs 750 to 770 crores.

The acquisition of 75% equity shareholding is expected to be completed on or before March 31, 2024 and the remaining 25% shareholding shall be bought within 3 years.

"Ching’s Secret is a market leader in Desi Chinese across its product categories - Chutneys, Blended Masalas, Sauces and Soups. Smith & Jones is a fast-growing brand catering to in-home cooking of Italian and other western cuisines," Tata Consumer said in a separate press release.

Tata Consumer said this acquisition will enable it to expand its product portfolio and further strengthen its pantry platform. The overall size of the categories in which Capital Foods operates in is estimated at Rs 21,400 crore.

Sunil D’Souza, MD & CEO, Tata Consumer Products said, “We believe this is a good strategic and financial fit. It will open up significant market opportunities in the fast-growing non-Indian cuisines segment, leveraging the sales and distribution platform that we have built. The strong brand recall of Ching’s Secret and Smith & Jones coupled with our operational strength across channels makes us extremely confident of driving topline growth and realizing cost synergies.”

Ajay Gupta, Founder of Capital Foods said, “Today is a historic day for Capital Foods. To be associated with the iconic Tata Group is a dream come true for me. Just the name, ‘Tata’, instils a sense of trust and pride in every Indian. Like Capital Foods, Tata is a home-grown brand that is globally recognised. Tata Consumer Products is a multiconglomerate that spans the globe with quality food ingredients and products. In 28 years, from 3 bottles of sauces, to an entire ‘Desi Chinese’ cuisine block, Ching’s Secret has become a brand to be reckoned with. Smith & Jones covers another food block with tremendous potential.

"Together, Tata and Capital Foods can create a multinational culinary brand that includes multiple food categories. The journey ahead is going to be a giant leap for us, full of endless possibilities and definitely exhilarating!”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.