August 18, 2026 02:31 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar
Hong Kong
Pixabay

Hong Kong: 21 nations express concern over media suppression

| @indiablooms | Feb 09, 2022, at 02:39 pm

Washington: A coalition of 21 countries from around the world, including the United States and the United Kingdom, issued a joint statement in which they expressed a deep concern over alleged suppression of independent media in Hong Kong.

"The undersigned members of the Media Freedom Coalition express their deep concern at the Hong Kong and mainland Chinese authorities' attacks on freedom of the press and their suppression of independent local media in Hong Kong," the statement said on Tuesday.

"Since the enactment of the National Security Law in June 2020, the authorities have targeted and suppressed independent media in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region."

As examples of media attacks and suppression by the Chinese authorities, the signatories cited the raid on the Stand News offices and the arrests of its staff as well as the closure of Citizen News that came about out of concern for the safety of its staff, the statement said. Citizen News ceased to operate on January 4 and became the third media outlet that halted operations in Hong Kong over the last year, the statement said.

Another incident occurred last June when authorities shut down the Hong Kong-based pro-opposition newspaper Apple Daily and arrested several of its top executives on charges of collusion with foreign forces to harm China's national security.

The Chinese authorities have repeatedly dismissed reports of media suppression in Hong Kong.

Also on Tuesday, a spokesperson for the Office of the Commissioner of China's Foreign Affairs Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region issued a statement condemning the Media Freedom Coalition for using freedom of the press as a shield to engage in activities disrupting China and Hong Kong and undermine national security and social stability.

The spokesperson said what is happening in Hong Kong is China's internal matter and Beijing is determined to safeguard its national sovereignty and implement the principle of "one country, two systems."

(With /UNI/Sputnik input)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.