August 18, 2026 04:47 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Dhaka hostage crisis: 20 foreigners, 6 terrorists killed

| | Jul 02, 2016, at 10:04 pm
Dhaka, July 2 (IBNS): The Bangladeshi Army on Saturday said that 20 foreigners were killed by heavily armed terrorists suspected to belong to terror outfit ISIS after being taken hostage at a restaurant in the capital city Dhaka on Friday evening.
The people were kept hostage for nearly 10 hours in Dhaka's upscale restaurant Gulshan. The stand-off between Army and terrorists came to a end on Saturday morning.
 
An Indian girl, who was taken hostage in the restaurant, also died in the terror attack in Dhaka, Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj confirmed.
 
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday said that a terrorist was caught alive.
 
As the operation came to an end, 13 captives, including three foreigners, were rescued.
 
Brigadier General of Bangladesh Army Nayeem Ashfaq Chowdhury told reporters in Dhaka that: "We've recovered 20 bodies. Most them had been brutally hacked to death with sharp weapons."
 
According to the Army, most of the victims were Italian or Japanese.
 
"Three of those who were rescued were foreigners, including one Japanese and two Sri Lankans," the spokesperson told media.
 
The ISIS has already claimed responsibility for the terror attack, a first of its kind in Bangladesh. 
 
Condemning the attack, Hasina said, "It was an extremely heinous act. What kind of Muslims are these people? They don't have any religion."
 
"People must resist these terrorists. My government is determined to root out terrorism and militancy from Bangladesh...we can defeat terrorism if the people are united," she said. 
 
Gunmen attacked the upscale cafe at Gulshan,  the diplomatic area of Dhaka late Friday  and had been holding  the hostages before Commandos and military personnel stormed the building and cleared it after a 10-hour battle. 

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.