August 18, 2026 04:06 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
YouTube

China blocks move to blacklist Masood Azhar again

| | Feb 08, 2017, at 05:36 am
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IBNS): Extending its support for Pakistan, China has once again blocked the move of United Nations to blacklist Masood Azhar, the chief of the Jaish-e-Mohammed terror group.

The proposal to designate Masood Azhar as a global terrorist was moved by three permanent members of the UN Security Council, US, UK and France on Jan 19, media reports said.

“Last time, China had blocked the proposal citing it as a matter between India-Pakistan…so, this time, it was decided that others should take the lead. But Beijing has once again put it on hold,” The Indian Express reported quoting source.

Last year, China blocked India's attempt to have the United Nations designate Masood Azhar as global terrorist, who is said to have masterminded the attack on Pathankot air base in which seven military personnel were killed.

China stopped UN sanctions committee from designating Azhar as terrorist, maintaining that the case "did not meet the requirements" of the Security Council.

The UN had banned the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) in 2001 but India's efforts for slapping sanctions on Azhar after the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks also did not fructify as China, that has veto powers, did not allow it apparently at the behest of Pakistan.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.