May 19, 2026 03:55 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial | Left era ends in Kerala! V.D. Satheesan takes oath as CM after UDF’s massive comeback | Drone strike near UAE nuclear plant sparks panic—India calls it a ‘dangerous escalation' | Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple

UN, humanitarian partners to launch $40M appeal for flood-hit Peru

| | Apr 08, 2017, at 02:19 pm
New York, Apr 8(Just Earth News): The United Nations and humanitarian partners in Peru are expected on Fridayto launch an appeal for $39.2 million to provide urgently needed aid to people affected by the latest flooding in Peru.

The funds will be used to assist more than 400,000 people battling high waters and landslides from rains that began in early March.

The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said the priority areas covered by the appeal include shelter, water, sanitation and hygiene, food and early recovery.

More than 2.5 million people are susceptible to new landslides and vector-borne disease.

Flooding is also reported in neighbouring Colombia, where three rivers surrounding the southern city of Mocoa overflowed, flattening homes and bridges.

Meanwhile, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) reported earlier this week that the floods continue to put the lives of thousands of children in danger. UNICEF Peru is supporting the Government to protect those affected.

In a situation report , the agency said the northern department of Piura has been worst hit by the natural disaster and continues to be pounded with rain. The Government declared a National State of Emergency for Piura on 29 March, calling on the international community to offer assistance.

The numbers of those affected is rising and is expected to continue to do so over the coming weeks. Around two million children remain out of school, putting their education and protection at risk.

Photo: Mónica Suarez Galindo/UNDP Peru

Source: www.justearthnews.com

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.