May 19, 2026 12:13 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial | Left era ends in Kerala! V.D. Satheesan takes oath as CM after UDF’s massive comeback | Drone strike near UAE nuclear plant sparks panic—India calls it a ‘dangerous escalation' | Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple

ISIS claims responsibility for Iran Parliament, Khomeini shrine attacks

| | Jun 07, 2017, at 09:41 pm
Tehran, June 7 (IBNS): Militant group ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Iran Parliament building and in the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini, media reports said.

The SITE intelligence group website said: "The Islamic State (IS) claimed through its ‘Amaq News Agency its first attack in Iran, striking the Iranian parliament and the Khomeini shrine in the capital, Tehran."

In another report, the group said: "The Islamic State’s (IS) ‘Amaq News Agency released a video recorded by one of the fighters involved in the raid inside the Iranian parliament in Tehran."

Armed men carried out two attacks in Iran's capital, killing a guard at the parliament building and wounding several people in the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini, Aljazeera reported quoting state media.

State broadcaster IRIB and the Fars news agency said one armed man was inside the mausoleum.

Lawmaker Elias Hazrati told state television three attackers, one with a pistol and two with AK-47 assault rifles, raided parliament on Wednesday.

Another lawmaker said one of the assailants was surrounded by security forces and all the doors to the building had been closed, the Aljazeera report quoted  ISNA news agency as saying.

Iran's state TV says four attackers were involved in the parliament shooting. At least eight people were wounded.

Some reports indicate one of the attackers in parliament had explosive belt on him. He has been surrounded by security forces.

The identity and the motivation of the assailant are still unclear.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.