August 17, 2026 01:55 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Kyiv Attack
Indian-origin industrialist Lakshmi Mittal’s Ukraine steel plant hit by Russian strike. Photo: ArcelorMittal’/Facebook

Indian-origin industrialist Lakshmi Mittal’s Ukraine steel plant hit by Russian strike, 2 killed, 13 injured

| @indiablooms | Aug 17, 2026, at 12:06 pm

Ukraine has claimed that Indian-origin billionaire Lakshmi Mittal’s ArcelorMittal mining and metallurgical complex in Kryvyi Rih was targeted in Russian strikes, according to media reports.

The facility is Ukraine’s largest integrated steel plant. Local media reports said at least two people were killed and 13 others injured in the attack. A search and rescue operation is currently underway, while specialists are assessing the extent of the damage.

ArcelorMittal’s press service said on Facebook that the attack damaged the plant’s main production facilities, including energy and blast furnace infrastructure, partially disrupting production.

“As a result of the attack, the main production facilities of energy and blast furnace production were damaged and the production processes of the plant were partially stopped,” the company said.

Condemning the attack, ArcelorMittal said the facility is a civilian industrial site.

“We emphasize that our enterprise is a civilian object of the mining and metallurgical industry and we strongly condemn such insidious enemy attacks,” the company said.

The ArcelorMittal plant was previously targeted by Russian strikes in 2022. The company confirmed that two people were killed in the latest attack.

Meanwhile, overnight Russian strikes in Kyiv triggered a large-scale fire at the Petrivka book market near the Pochaina metro station in the Obolonskyi district, The Kyiv Post reported.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Sunday that 13 regions had come under attack during the previous week.

“The enemy launched more than 1,550 attack drones, nearly 1,560 guided aerial bombs, and 62 missiles at our cities and communities, most of them ballistic missiles of various types,” Zelenskyy said.

Russia’s Defence Ministry, meanwhile, said its forces had struck transport and energy infrastructure used by Ukrainian forces.

“Russian tactical aircraft, attack drones, missile forces and artillery struck fuel, energy and transport infrastructure used by Ukrainian troops,” the ministry said, as quoted by TASS.

It also claimed that Russian forces had targeted facilities involved in the assembly and storage of long-range drones and unmanned boats, as well as temporary deployment sites of Ukrainian forces and foreign mercenaries, across 159 areas.

The latest strikes come amid a sharp rise in civilian casualties in Ukraine. The UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU) said last week that civilian casualties reached their highest monthly level in July since March 2022.

Investigators verified that at least 437 civilians were killed and 2,610 injured in July, representing a 30 per cent increase from June and a 70 per cent rise compared with July 2025.

Child casualties also reached their highest level since April 2022, according to the investigators, although the actual figure is expected to be higher as verification continues.

The full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine has now entered its fifth year, with a diplomatic resolution to the conflict still out of sight.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.