May 18, 2026 06:15 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

Drone Trouble: Gatwick Airport to remain closed today

| @indiablooms | Dec 21, 2018, at 05:14 pm

London, Dec 21 (IBNS): Amid reports of drone sightings, Gatwick Airport in the UK will remain closed on Friday, officials said.

Officials said that the runaway will remain closed and all flights have been cancelled 'for the rest of the evening because of continued drone sightings in and around the airfield'.

"1of2 Gatwick's runway will remain closed and all flights are cancelled for the rest of the evening because of continued drone sightings in and around the airfield as we continue to work with police and security partners to resolve the situation," the airport tweeted.

"2of2 Passengers should check the status of their flight with their airline and not travel to the airport if their flight is not confirmed. We share passengers’ frustration and are grateful for their ongoing patience," it said.

Gatwick's chief operating officer Chris Woodroofe told BBC 120,000 passengers had been due to fly out since the airport closed its runway on Wednesday. 

As per the BBC report, police have been locked in a game of cat and mouse with the drone, and have received about 50 reports of the device being flown near the airfield since Wednesday evening.

No arrests have been made so far.

The Sussex Police tweeted: "#GatwickDrones | Earlier we appealed for information. We thank everyone for their help but we ask that information shared with us is focused on the identity or location of the #drone operator. We are employing all available options to deal with the drone."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.