February 22, 2026 11:38 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
ASI
Photo Courtesy: UNI

Archaeological Survey of India seeks 4 more weeks time to submit report on Gyanvapi survey

| @indiablooms | Oct 04, 2023, at 11:41 pm

The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) on Wednesday moved an application in the district court seeking an extension of four more weeks time to submit its report on the scientific survey of the Gyanvapi complex.

Counsel of the Hindu side Subhash Nandan Chaturvedi claimed that the ASI in its application has prayed that due to debris present in the cellars (tehkhana) and dust accumulated there, it was taking time for the agency to conduct the survey and also due to intermittent rains the use of scientific instruments has become difficult.

He said that the agency in its application has stated that the debris is being removed very carefully and systematically which is a slow process and is going to take some more time before the ground of the cellars and structural features of the existing structures are cleared for a survey as directed by the court.

It may be noted that on September 8 the court of district judge Ajaya Krishna Vishvehsa granted 4 weeks time and asked the ASI to submit its report of Gyanvapi survey on October 6.

The ASI in an application moved in the district court on September 2 had sought an additional 8 weeks time to complete its scientific survey of the Gyanvapi complex. While admitting the ASI's application partially the court of District Judge Ajay Krishna Vishvesha granted 4 weeks additional time to the agency to complete the survey and scientific investigation.

The court directed the ASI to submit its report by October 6 and to follow the orders passed by the Allahabad High Court and the Supreme Court regarding the survey. The court said that it agreed with the ASI counsel that the survey work could not be completed in a haste.

It said that it takes time to prepare scientific investigation, survey and photographs. Besides, it said that the ASI has to ensure that no harm was caused to the figures and structure as directed by the court in its order on July 21.

The application to give additional time to the ASI to complete the survey was however opposed by the Muslim side. On the behalf of the Muslim side, it was submitted that two trucks of debris had been removed from the mosque complex and ASI was carrying excavation work in the basement which may cause damage to the Gyanvapi structure.

(With UNI inputs)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.