August 18, 2026 09:50 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
C Joseph Vijay was to shift office to provide additional workspace. Photo: TVK HQ Facebook

Vijay's new office plan sparks tender row in Tamil Nadu, BJP alleges irregularities

| @indiablooms | Aug 18, 2026, at 09:43 pm

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Joseph Vijay's plan to shift his office from Fort St George to Namakkal Kavingar Maaligai in Chennai has triggered a political controversy, with the opposition alleging irregularities in the tender process for the proposed move.

The Chief Minister is planning to shift the office to provide additional workspace for his officers and staff. Construction work is reportedly already underway.

The state government recently floated a tender worth around Rs 5.5 crore for the proposed shifting and related work.

BJP raises first corruption allegation against TVK government

The Bharatiya Janata Party has alleged that the tender was issued nearly a month after construction work had already begun, raising questions over the process, media reports said.

BJP leader CR Kesavan said the allegations were significant as the TVK government had repeatedly promised transparency in government tenders.

"In stark contrast to all the tall claims made by the new TVK government about bringing in transparency to the government tender process, a news article by a leading daily today has openly alleged many discrepancies in the tender process," Kesavan said.

He pointed to the reported Rs 5.5-crore value of the tender and said the allegations had emerged barely 100 days after the TVK government assumed office.

DMK seeks clarification

DMK MLA EV Velu said shifting the Chief Minister's office was a matter for the government to decide, but sought an explanation over the reported tender discrepancies.

"Shifting his office is his personal choice. We can't interfere in it," Velu said.

However, he questioned reports that the tender had not been floated online and was issued after work on the office had already begun.

"You speak about purity in tenders. But news reports say that the tender has been invited after works began for the office," he said, seeking clarification from the government.

TVK dismisses allegations

Tamil Nadu minister Aadhav Arjuna rejected the allegations, calling the reports false.

He said the decision to temporarily relocate the Chief Minister's office was driven by the need to provide adequate working space for Vijay's officers and staff.

"The Chief Minister feels that just like him, everyone else who's working with him should also have a comfortable workspace," Arjuna said.

He claimed that the staff are currently working in spaces measuring less than 100 square feet, making a temporary shift necessary.

Describing Vijay as "down-to-earth and flexible", Arjuna said the Chief Minister was comfortable working in modest surroundings even during election campaigns.

'Office hasn't changed in over 100 years'

Arjuna also pointed to the age of the existing setup, saying the office at Fort St George had remained largely unchanged for more than a century.

"We have had the same building for over 100 years. The office hasn't changed in consonance with the change in administration. Hence, we need to update it," he said.

He also referred to former Chief Ministers M Karunanidhi and J Jayalalithaa, saying both had wanted to establish a new Secretariat but were unable to do so because of political circumstances.

Government promises transparent tender process

Amid the allegations, Arjuna assured that the tender process would remain transparent and said there would be no misuse of public funds.

"No benami companies will be used. We will ensure no leakage to the government's treasury," he said.

The controversy marks the first major corruption-related allegation to hit the three-month-old TVK government, with the Opposition now seeking greater clarity over the tender and the timing of the construction work.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.