February 17, 2026 09:50 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Pakistan
Representational image by Abuzar Xheikh on Unsplash

Pakistan: Jumbo cabinet costs taxpayers dearly

| @indiablooms | Feb 13, 2023, at 05:11 pm

Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s recent decision of stuffing as many special assistants as he can into an already big fat federal cabinet has not only drawn widespread condemnation but also led experts to say that it is an “insensitive” move which has cost the taxpayers large sums of money at a time when the country is combating financial crisis.

Since coming to power in April last year, the PM has been calling for austerity but the frequent expansion of the cabinet by inducting more people as special assistants to the PM without adopting clear criteria and a process has raised several eyebrows, The Express Tribune reported.

Former senator and lawyer Mustafa Nawaz Khokhar and ex-minister of state and Board of Investment of Pakistan (BoI) chairman Haroon Sharif, among others, lashed out at the PML-N-led ruling alliance for being disconnected from the masses, calling for cutting the cabinet’s size amid the worst financial crisis.

“The government has shown real insensitivity by appointing several more SAPMs at a time when the country is going through one of the worst financial crises in its history,” the outspoken ex-senator told the newspaper.

“The common man is not left with any fiscal space to go on with his daily life with dignity,” he added.

While reacting to the coalition government’s federal cabinet swelling to 85 members, Khokhar said that it showed that “the ruling elites are not only tone deaf but disconnected from the masses” to the extent that they had no idea about the choices people were being forced to make regarding meeting kitchen expenses as well as paying their bills, rents and children’s school fees.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.