February 17, 2026 11:38 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Peshawar Blast

Pakistan: Blast inside Peshawar mosque leaves 28 dead, 150 injured

| @indiablooms | Jan 30, 2023, at 10:00 pm

Peshawar: At least 28 people died as a blast took place inside a mosque in Peshawar’s Police Lines area on Monday.

The blast left 150 people injured.

Peshawar Commissioner Riaz Mehsood confirmed to Dawn News that the casualties, adding that a rescue operation was underway inside the mosque.

“An emergency has been imposed at hospitals across the city and injured persons are being provided the best medical facilities,” the senior official said.

Meanwhile, Lady Reading Hospital spokesperson Mohammad Asim told Dawn News that a number of injured persons were in critical condition.

Speaking to the media, Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Peshawar Muhammad Ijaz Khan told Dawn News that the roof of the mosque collapsed after the blast. “A number of jawans are still stuck under the rubble and rescuers are trying to pull them out.”

“The smell of explosives has been detected but it is too early to say anything substantial,” he said.

Khan said between 300 to 400 police officials were present in the area at the time of the blast.

“It is apparent that a security lapse occurred,” the CCPO told the media.

He added that the bodies and injured persons have been moved to the LRH.

The blast occured around 1:40pm as Zuhr prayers were being offered.

No group has claimed responsibility for the blast so far.

It is still not clear whether the bomb was planted inside the mosque or it was a suicide attack.

Ex- Pakistan PM Imran Khan condoled the loss of lives in the tragedy and tweeted: " Strongly condemn the terrorist suicide attack in police lines mosque Peshawar during prayers. My prayers & condolences go to victims families. It is imperative we improve our intelligence gathering & properly equip our police forces to combat the growing threat of terrorism."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.