February 19, 2026 10:31 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Afghanistan Girl Education
UNICEF/Sayed Bidel

I deeply regret that girls’ education above 6th grade remains suspended in Afghanistan: Antonio Guterres

| @indiablooms | Apr 02, 2022, at 02:31 pm

New York: UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has regretted that girls’ education above 6th grade still remains suspended in Taliban ruled Afghanistan.

"Support for the rights of Afghan women & girls is support that lifts children out of hunger & communities out of poverty," he tweeted.

"I deeply regret that girls’ education above 6th grade remains suspended – an unjustifiable violation of equal rights that damages the entire country," he said.

The Taliban government in Afghanistan decided to shut down the school for girls in the country, on a day the institutes were scheduled to reopen, creating confusion in the country late last month.

Afghanistan was set to reopen schools from Mar 23 after months of remaining shut since the Taliban came to power in the war-hit country on Aug 15.

Foreign Ministers of the United Kingdom, USA and several other nations had condemned the Taliban’s decision not to re-open secondary schools to Afghan girls.

"We are united in our condemnation of the Taliban’s decision on March 23 to deny so many Afghan girls the opportunity to finally go back to school.  The Taliban’s action contradicted its public assurances to the Afghan people and to the international community," read a statement issued by the foreign ministers of several nations.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.