February 18, 2026 09:01 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Uyghur-China
Representational image by Kuzzat Altay on Unsplash

China’s surveillance campaigns are now targeting Uyghurs: Report

| @indiablooms | Nov 17, 2022, at 07:11 pm

Beijing: Cybersecurity researchers have now found two new surveillance campaigns that are targeting Uyghurs in China and abroad, media reports said on Tuesday.

The two new surveillance campaigns are named as BadBazaar and MOONSHINE by the researchers on Thursday. The other employs a previously disclosed tool, MOONSHINE, which was discovered by Citizen Lab and observed targeting Tibetan activists in 2019, reports ANI.

The surveillance and detainment campaigns against Uyghurs and other Turkic ethnic minorities have been operational for years but it got the highlight when the United Nations Human Rights Commissioner, Michelle Bachelet released her report in August which stated that China has committed “serious human rights violations” against the Uyghur and “other predominantly Muslim communities” in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).

Published on Bachelet’s final day of her four-year term in office, the report said that the violations have taken place in the context of the Chinese Government’s assertion that it is targeting terrorists among the Uyghur minority with a counter-extremism strategy that involves the use of so-called Vocational Educational and Training Centres (VETCs), or re-education camps.

On October 31, 2022, about 50 countries submitted a joint statement to the UN General Assembly condemning the Chinese government’s oppression of Uyghurs and other Turkic peoples in East Turkistan.

The joint statement was issued on Monday and is the largest group of states publicly condemning China’s ongoing atrocities in East Turkistan, reported East Turkistan Government in Exile (ETGE).

Mobile surveillance tools like BadBazaar and MOONSHINE can be used to track many of the “pre-criminal” activities, actions considered indicative of religious extremism or separatism by the authorities in Xinjiang, reports ANI.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.