February 17, 2026 02:02 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Boat capsizes off Libyan coast , 11 Pakistanis feared dead

| | Feb 03, 2018, at 03:27 pm

Islamabad, Feb 3 (IBNS): At least 11 Pakistani national are feared to have died in a  boat sinking incident of the Libyan coast on Thursday, officials said on Saturday.

" Eleven Pakistanis feared dead in boat sinking incident off the coast of Libya. Pak Embassy in Tripoli actively following up. Names and details of the deceased will follow as soon as Foreign Office gets them from Tripoli," Pakistan  Foreign Office (FO)  Spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal  tweeted.

At least 90 people are feared to have been killed in the boat sinking incident in the  Mediterranean Sea.

The boat reportedly capsized off the coast of Zuwara.

An estimated 90-100 migrants are reported to have been on board a boat, when it capsized off the coast of Libya on Thursday evening, said International Organization for Migration (IOM).

According to IOM Libya’s Olivia Headon, 10 bodies are reported to have washed up on Libyan shores –  one Libyan woman and reportedly some Pakistani nationals.

Two survivors are reported to have swam to shore, while another was rescued by a fishing boat, Headon said.

IOM is working to get more details of the tragedy and to see how best to assist survivors, she continued.

In 2017, the 3,138 Pakistani migrants arriving by sea to Italy from Libya were 13th in the overall list of migrant arrivals (119,369).

This year though, they already are the third highest nationality so far, with an estimated 240 reaching Italy in January.

In comparison, only nine Pakistanis arrived in Italy by sea in January 2017.

According to IOM’s Missing Migrants project (MMP), there were no confirmed deaths of Pakistani or Libyan nationals in the Mediterranean in 2017.

In 2016, MMP recorded that 8 Pakistani nationals went missing in the Eastern Mediterranean in a shipwreck on 14 March 2016 near Kos, Greece.

This latest tragedy comes as IOM, the UN Migration Agency, reports that 6,624 migrants and refugees had entered Europe by sea through 28 January.

This compares with 5,983 coming ashore during a similar period in 2017. Italy accounts for approximately 64 per cent of the total, with the remainder split between Spain (19 per cent) and Greece (16 per cent).

 

Representative Image: Wikimedia Commons

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.