February 16, 2026 02:57 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule

At least 80 killed, 320 injured in Kabul suicide car attack in diplomatic zone

| | May 31, 2017, at 07:40 pm
Kabul, May 31 (IBNS) : The death toll in a massive suicide car bomb blast that ripped through Kabul's diplomatic quarter Wednesday has climbed to at least 80 while 320 people, including women and children, were left injured, reports said.

The blast took place  at around 08 30 am on Wazir Akbar Khan road close to the Zanbaq square- Kabul's high security diplomatic area where the Indian embassy and several other diplomatic missions are located.

Al Jazeera quoted police and health official sources as saying that  least 80 people were killed and more than 300 wounded in the attack. The death toll was expected to rise.

Other media reports also quoted Afghanistan health ministry spokesman Wahid Majroh as saying that the toll is  80, though the state-run Khaama Press put the number of dead at 64.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also condemned the bomb blast in Kabul and underlined the need for defeating forces supporting terrorism. The PM, who is in Spain on a visit, said India stands with Afghanistan in fighting all forms of terrorism.

“We strongly condemn the terrorist blast in Kabul. Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with the injured,” Modi tweeted on Wednesday.

The powerful blast damaged windows and doors of the Indian embassy but External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted that all officials are safe.

"By God's grace, Indian Embassy staff are safe in the massive blast," Swaraj tweeted.

Most of the victims are reported to be civilians.

Local TV channels showed the damaged buildings and cars on the blast site with a huge plumage of smoke hanging in the air.

Similar incidents have taken place in Afghanistan in the past few months.

Earlier this month, at least eight people were killed after militants targeted a NATO convoy while it was passing the US embassy.

No group has claimed responsibility so far.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.