February 16, 2026 02:58 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule

At least 60 killed or injured in Kabul suicide car explosion near Indian embassy

| | May 31, 2017, at 05:55 pm
Kabul, May 31 (IBNS): At least 60 people have been reportedly killed or injured in a suicide car attack on Wednesday morning in Kabul's high security diplomatic area where the Indian embassy is located, reports said.

The powerful blast damaged windows and doors of the Indian embassy but External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted that all officials are safe.

"By God's grace, Indian Embassy staff are safe in the massive blast," Swaraj tweeted.

The blast took place on Wazir Akbar Khan Road close to the Zanbaq Square. The spot is  outside the German Embassy and very close to the Indian Embassy. Several other foreign embassies are also located in the area.

“Massive VBIED (Vehicle-borne improvised explosive device) not too far from our Embassy,” Indian ambassador in Kabul Manpreet Vohra said.

Earlier, the Afghan Ministry of Interior spokesman Najib Danish said that a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle filled with explosives.

About 60 injured people were admitted to nearby hospitals after the blast, local TV channel Tolo News quoted health officials as saying.

The exact figure of casualty is yet to be established.

Local TV channels showed the damaged buildings and cars on the blast site with a huge plumage of smoke hanging in the air.

Similar incidents have taken place in Afghanistan in the past few months.

Earlier this month, at least eight people were killed after militants targeted a NATO convoy while it was passing the US embassy.

No group has claimed responsibility so far.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.