February 17, 2026 08:05 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
ISIS
wallpaper cave

Afghanistan: Taliban governor killed in Balkh, ISIS claims responsibility

| @indiablooms | Mar 10, 2023, at 02:35 pm

Kabul: Terror group Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the killing of the Taliban governor of Afghanistan's northern Balkh province.

He has been identified as Mohammad Dawood Muzammil.

According to reports, he was killed in his office located in Afghanistan's  Mazar-e Sharif city on Thursday.

He is the most senior Taliban official to be killed since the militants returned to power in 2021, reports BBC.

ISIS has taken responsibility for several attacks in Afghanistan ever since the insurgent force came to power in the country.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Twitter that the governor had been "martyred in an explosion by the enemies of Islam", reports BBC.

According to reports,  Mohammad Dawood Muzammil had taken the lead role in fighting against ISIS during his previous posting as governor of  Nangarhar.

SITE Intelligence Group Director Rita Katz tweeted: " #ISIS claimed today's suicide bombing in Mazar-e-Sharif #Afghanistan targeting Mohammad Dawood Muzammil, a top Taliban official + governor for Balkh. Comes day after claim of killing a Taliban official in Herat, marking rebound in country after quiet Feb."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.