February 17, 2026 08:40 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Afghanistan: 2 bombers shot dead in Nangarhar

| @indiablooms | Jul 16, 2018, at 09:49 am

Kabul, July 16 (IBNS): Security officials have shot dead two suicide bombers in Ghanikhel district of eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan, media reports said on Monday.

The bombers were shot dead before they could execute their plans.

Idris Momand, spokesman for the eastern border police 1st unit, told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces shot a suicide bomber in his explosives-laden vehicle after arriving near the first security check-post.

However, the attacker detonated his explosives, only killing himself at around 3:15pm, he told the Afghanistan-based news agency, adding the second bomber had disembarked from the vehicle but he was also shot dead.

7 killed in Kabul suicide blast:

A suicide bombing close to the gate of the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD) in Darulaman in PD 6 of Afghanistan's Kabul city left at least seven people killed, media reports said on Sunday.

The suicide bomber reportedly detonated his explosives.

The explosion took place at around 4.30 pm, reports said.

Civilian death in Afghanistan hit record high:

The number of civilians killed in Afghanistan hit a record high in the first half of the year, despite last month’s unprecedented ceasefire between the Afghan Government and the Taliban, the United Nations reported on Sunday.

According to the latest figures released on Sunday by the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, known as UNAMA, there were 5,122 civilian casualties (1,692 deaths and 3,430 injured) in teh first six months of 2018 – a three per cent overall decrease in casualties from last year.

But civilian deaths were up by one per cent, the most recorded in the same time period since UNAMA began documentation of civilian casualties in 2009.

The continuing record high casualty rates  are being inflicted on civilians despite the unilateral ceasefires by Government and Taliban that occurred over the Eid al-Fitr holiday period between 15-17 June 2018.

 

Image: Wikimedia Commons

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.