February 18, 2026 12:27 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Virat Kohli
Image Credit: Instagram/Indian Cricket Team

Virat Kohli speaks on ODI captaincy sacking row, says 'was informed 1.5 hours before Test selection'

| @indiablooms | Dec 15, 2021, at 07:44 pm

Mumbai/IBNS: Breaking his silence for the first time since the One Day International (ODI) captaincy row broke out, Virat Kohli on Wednesday said he was informed about the change in leadership in 50 overs cricket one-and-a-half hours prior to the selection of Test squad for South Africa tour.

Addressing a press conference, Kohli said, "I was contacted one-and-a-half hours before selection for Tests. The chief selector discussed with me the Test squad.

"Before the call ended, I was told that the five selectors have decided that I won't be ODI captain anymore. There was no prior communication about this."

Kohli said his decision to quit T20 captaincy was accepted well by the Indian cricket board (BCCI), whose chief Sourav Ganguly had earlier said he had requested the 33-year-old to not step down.

"When I told the BCCI that I want to give up T20I captaincy, it was accepted really well. There was no hesitancy. I was told that it was a progressive step. I had informed at that time that I would like to lead in ODIs and Tests.

"The communication from my side was clear but I had also informed that if the office bearers and selectors don't think I should lead in other formats, then that is fine," the Indian Test skipper said.

Contradicting some media reports, Kohli said he will be available for the upcoming ODI series against South Africa where Sharma will be leading the side in limited overs cricket.

Kohli clarified he had never asked for any leave, rejecting the reports.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.