February 18, 2026 10:45 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Novak Djokovic
Image Credit: Instagram/Novak Djokovic

Pleased and grateful, says Novak Djokovic after Australian court overturns visa cancellation order

| @indiablooms | Jan 11, 2022, at 01:13 am

Top tennis player Novak Djokovic said he was "pleased and grateful" that an Australia court overturned the order of cancelling his visa, fuelling the 34-year-old Serbian sportsman's ambition to win the 21st Grand Slam title in the upcoming Australian Open.

Hours after his detention by the Australian Border Force was lifted by the court, Djokovic returned to his playing court and tweeted, "I’m pleased and grateful that the Judge overturned my visa cancellation. Despite all that has happened,I want to stay and try to compete @AustralianOpen I remain focused on that. I flew here to play at one of the most important events we have in front of the amazing fans."

"For now I cannot say more but THANK YOU all for standing with me through all this and encouraging me to stay strong."

The top seed was detained at the airport last week after he arrived in the country to play the Australia Open which begins in a week's time.

The Australian Border Force had claimed Djokovic's visa was cancelled after he failed to provide appropriate evidence for meeting the entry requirements to play the major tennis event amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Reportedly, Djokovic had travelled to Australia after receiving medical exemptions from the strict requirements to enter into the country.

Media reported that the nine-time Australian Open champion had applied for a wrong type of visa for a person flying to Australia with a medical exemption.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.