February 17, 2026 10:14 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Raheem Sterling
Image: @England Twitter page

English footballer Raheem Sterling leaves Qatar WC squad after burglary at family home

| @indiablooms | Dec 05, 2022, at 11:11 pm

London: An English footballer left the World Cup squad in Qatar and returned to London after his home was burgled, media reports said on Monday.

Raheem Sterling missed England's victory against Senegal by 3-0 margin.

Surrey Police said no-one was home at the time of the burglary on Saturday evening, in which jewellery and watches were taken, and no threats of violence were involved, reports BBC.

"We are currently investigating a report of a burglary at an address in Oxshott, Leatherhead. Police were contacted just before 9pm on Saturday December 3rd after the occupants of the property came home and discovered a number of items including jewellery and watches had been stolen. Enquiries to establish the circumstances are underway and the investigation is ongoing," the police said in a statement.

"No threat of violence was involved as the items were discovered stolen retrospectively. Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing. No arrests have been made at this time," read the statement.

Speaking after Sunday's match, England manager Gareth Southgate told BBC: "Sometimes football isn't the most important thing and family should come first."

According to his spokesperson, Sterling was "shaken" by the news and "as soon as he was alerted he wanted to get home, concerned for the wellbeing of his children".

Speaking on the issue, the official Twitter handle of the English football squad said: "Raheem Sterling is not available for selection for the #ThreeLions tonight as he is dealing with a family matter."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.