February 17, 2026 09:49 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Bangladesh: Australia withdraw from U-19 WC

| | Jan 05, 2016, at 08:28 pm
Sydney, Jan 5 (IBNS): Citing safety and security concerns, Australia has pulled out of the ICC Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh.

Stating security fears, Australia's senior side last October had postponed their scheduled tour of Bangladesh.

"Cricket Australia's head of security Sean Carroll met with cricket and government officials in Bangladesh last week before reporting back to CA in Melbourne," read the Cricket Australia website.

Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland was quoted as saying by the website: "We have always maintained that the safety and security of Australian teams and officials is our number-one priority,"

"For some time we have been working closely with ICC security advisors and monitoring the security situation in Bangladesh and have been keeping our players, officials and the players' parents as up to date as possible," he said.

"Regrettably, the advice from our Government suggests that the security threat to Australians travelling to Bangladesh remains as high now as it was when we postponed the Test team’s tour of that country late last year," Sutherland  said.

He said: "Included in that is reliable information suggesting there is a high threat to Australian interests in Bangladesh."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.