August 19, 2026 12:50 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Amit Shah
Image credit: Twitter/ BJP4India

'States to not press claim till Supreme Court verdict': Amit Shah on Karnataka, Maharashtra border row

| @indiablooms | Dec 15, 2022, at 03:48 am

New Delhi/IBNS: Union Home Minister Amit Shah Wednesday said the chief ministers of Karnataka and Maharashtra have agreed not to press their claims in the decades-long state border dispute till the Supreme Court takes a call on the matter.

Shah made the announcement after a meeting with the two leaders on Wednesday.

His meeting with Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai and Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde was held amid a flare-up of a long-standing dispute that dates back to 1957.

Over the last weeks, trucks from Maharashtra have been attacked in Karnataka and buses of the southern state have been defaced by workers of the Uddhav Thackeray faction of the Shiv Sena.

"There has been an agreement that till the Supreme Court delivers its verdict, the state governments will not make any claim. The dispute should be resolved through talks. A committee will be formed with three ministers from each state," Shah told a reporter after the meeting.

A senior police officer will be deputed to look into the law-and-order issue so travellers and traders from neither state face any problems. Police cases will be filed against those who fan discontent on social media, Shah said.

He has also appealed to opposition parties in both states not to politicise the issue and wait for the top court's verdict.

Maharashtra had been upset over the inclusion of Marathi-speaking areas -- including Belgavi, part of the erstwhile Bombay Presidency in Karnataka during the reorganisation of states on linguistic lines.

It also laid claim to 814 Marathi-speaking villages which are currently part of Karnataka.

Karnataka, meanwhile, maintains the demarcation is final and there can be no change.

While the matter is pending in the Supreme Court, out of the two BJP-ruled states, one will have its assembly elections next year and is expected to take deft handling.

In Karnataka, the ruling BJP has come under opposition pressure in the run-up to the election.

Senior Congress leader Siddaramaiah has accused the BJP of reaping "political benefits" out of the controversy. "Belagavi border issue, which could have been resolved through negotiations, is now allowed to grow so that BJP can take benefits," the Congress leader said.

Karnataka has also built a second assembly building in Belgavi to assert its claims.

A legislature session is held once a year at the 'Suvarna Vidhana Soudha', modelled on the Vidhana Soudha, the seat of legislature in Bengaluru.

In Maharashtra, Opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi has been vocal, with Nationalist Congress chief Sharad Pawar declaring that it is time to take a stand.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.