August 18, 2026 10:59 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Sharad Pawar blamed EVM for Maharashtra poll rout but has no evidence to prove his claim. (Photo Courtesy: Sharad Pawar X handle)

Sharad Pawar holds EVMs responsible for Maharashtra poll rout but has no evidence

| @indiablooms | Dec 01, 2024, at 04:02 am

Mumbai: Nationalist Congress Party (Sharadchandra Pawar) chief Sharad Pawar on Saturday alleged irregularities in the votes recorded through Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) during the Maharashtra Assembly elections.

However, he admitted that he currently lacks evidence to support this claim.

Pawar said there was a discrepancy in the votes from EVMs but admitted he had no proof to substantiate it.

He said that some people had requested a recount and assured that whatever was feasible in the matter would be done.

"Some people have applied for recounting. Let's see what happens in that, but I do not have much hope from this," he was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.

After suffering a near wipe out in the recent Assembly elections in Maharashtra and Jharkhand as well as in Jammu Kashmir last month, the Congress accused the Election Commission of undermining the "integrity of the entire electoral process" and declared plans to launch a "national movement" in response.

"The Congress Working Committee (CWC) believes the integrity of the entire electoral process is being severely compromised. Free and fair elections is a constitutional mandate that is being called into serious question by the partisan functioning of the Election Commission. Increasing sections of society are becoming frustrated and deeply apprehensive. The Congress will take up these public concerns as a national movement," the Congress said in a statement.

The Election Commission rejected the Congress's allegations but added that it was ready to discuss the matter with a party delegation scheduled for December 3.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.