August 19, 2026 12:56 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Bharat Jodo | Covid
Image Credit: Congress Twitter

Rahul Gandhi accuses Centre of imposing Covid protocols to disrupt Bharat Jodo Yatra

| @indiablooms | Dec 22, 2022, at 11:20 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi Thursday accused the Centre of using Covid-19 protocols as an excuse to halt his pan-India foot march—Bharat Jodo Yatra.

He made the allegation hours after Congress’s communications in-charge Jairam Ramesh suggested that the Centre’s sudden action regarding a Covid surge across the country is a ruse to obstruct the campaign.

"This yatra will travel till Kashmir. Now they (the BJP) have come up with a new idea. They wrote a letter to me saying Covid is coming, so stop the yatra. Look, now excuses are being made to stop the yatra. Wear masks, stop the yatra...these are all excuse. They are scared of the strength and the truth of this country," he said while addressing the media in Haryana's Nuh.

Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya had earlier written to Rahul Gandhi to ensure Covid "protocol" is followed in his 'Bharat Jodo Yatra'.

The minister had “requested” him to suspend the yatra if the Covid protocols couldn’t be followed.

"I request [Rahul Gandhi] that Covid protocol, including use of masks and sanitisers, be strictly followed during the march and only those who are vaccinated be allowed to participate," Mandaviya wrote in the letter.

"If this Covid protocol cannot be followed, then, in view of the public health emergency, and to save the country from the Covid pandemic, I request you to suspend the 'Bharat Jodo Yatra' in the national interest," he added.

In response to Congress’s allegation, the health minister Wednesday said, “I cannot neglect my duty of stopping potential Covid spread just because one family perhaps believes it's above the rules... No one is entitled to special treatment.”

While speaking on Covid preparedness in Parliament on Thursday, Mandaviya said his letter to Congress on Bharat Jodo Yatra was part of the government's efforts to stop a sudden surge.

“As a minister, I had to act after three MPs from Rajasthan wrote a letter questioning Bharat Jodo Yatra as several people who participated in the march there tested positive. Honourable CM of Himachal Pradesh, too, got the infection after joining the Yatra. After the MPs demanded action, I wrote to Rajasthan’s CM and the convenor of the Yatra to ensure adherence to Covid protocols," he said.

“Being the health minister of the country, it is my responsibility to contain the spread of the virus. I don’t want to go into politics but merely intend to ask people to follow protocols. But both Prime Minister and I were slammed in unspeakable language for asking some ‘special people’ to stick to the protocols.”

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.