August 18, 2026 11:42 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Qatar
Image credit: UNI

Qatar under 'unprecedented campaign of criticism' for hosting FIFA World Cup

| @indiablooms | Oct 26, 2022, at 01:14 am

Doha/UNI: An "unprecedented campaign of criticism" has been unleashed against Qatar ahead of the FIFA Men’s World Cup, Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani said on Tuesday.

"Since we have won the right to host the World Cup, an unprecedented campaign was launched against Qatar, which has never happened to any host country before. At first, we reacted positively to the criticism, which was helpful at times, but it turned out that the campaign continues and expands with the spreading of defamation and application of double standards," the emir told the Majlis al-Shura advisory council.

The leader of Qatar said that the accusations against the country have reached such a level that many have begun to wonder about the true causes and motives of this campaign.

The first FIFA World Cup in the Middle East and the Arab world is scheduled to be held from Nov 20 to Dec 18.

As expected, the World Cup in Qatar will be the most expensive in the history of football competitions.

The Qatari authorities have previously reported that hosting the World Cup would cost the country about $200 billion.

FIFA adopted guidelines in 2016 after it awarded Qatar the right to host the championship, which prohibits infringements on human rights.

Qatar’s World Cup leadership assured FIFA that gay fans would be welcome and that rainbow flags would be allowed in the stadiums.

During Qatar's preparations for this international football tournament, a large number of human rights organizations, activists and football experts spoke out against the violation of the rights of migrant workers and the persecution of LGBT people.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.