August 19, 2026 03:07 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Khalistan
Image Credit: Screengrab from video tweeted by Naomi Canton/Twitter/Jaiveer Shergill

Indifference to Indian diplomatic mission's security unacceptable: India conveys strong message to UK

| @indiablooms | Mar 21, 2023, at 01:27 am

New Delhi/IBNS: India has conveyed a strong message to the UK authorities by summoning British Deputy High Commissioner Christina Scott to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Sunday night following an attack by pro-Khalistani protesters on the Indian High Commission in London, who pulled down a Tricolour on the premises.

The incident comes a day after the action to arrest pro-Khalistani leader Amritpal Singh.

On a Sunday, when government offices and embassies are closed, Christina Scott, deputy chief of the UK high commission in Delhi was summoned to the MEA at 10:30 pm. High Commissioner Alex Ellis was unavailable as he is travelling.

India also demanded an explanation for the "complete absence of British security" that allowed the Khalistani elements to enter the Indian High Commission premises.

India also said it finds “unacceptable the indifference of the UK Government to the security of Indian diplomatic premises and personnel in the UK”.

The statement also demanded that the perpetrators be immediately arrested and prosecuted and stringent measures be put in place to prevent the recurrence of such incidents.

Videos on social media showed a group of Khalistani supporters shouting pro-Khalistan slogans and waving Khalistani flags gathered outside the Indian High Commission. One from the group is seen clambering on the verandah of the Indian High Commission and removing the Indian flag, to cheering and shouting of Khalistani slogans by the crowd.

The MEA statement issued late in the night read: “The senior-most UK diplomat in New Delhi was summoned late evening today to convey India’s strong protest at the actions taken by separatist and extremist elements against the Indian High Commission in London earlier in the day."

As per the statement shared by MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi on Twitter, the foreign ministry said the diplomat was reminded of the basic obligations of the UK government under the Vienna Convention.

Soon after the attack on Indian High Commission in London, Metropolitan police were called to the building and began an investigation. Within hours, a man was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder.

British High Commissioner to India Alex Ellis described the incident as "disgraceful" and "totally unacceptable". 

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.