August 19, 2026 01:04 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Kerala man dies while fighting for Russia. Photo courtesy: File image/UNI

India 'strongly takes' up matter with Moscow after Kerala man dies fighting for Russia

| @indiablooms | Jan 14, 2025, at 09:28 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: A day after it came to the fore that a man from Kerala was killed while fighting in the Russian army during the country's war against Ukraine, the Ministry of External Affairs on Tuesday said that it has strongly taken up the issue with Moscow.

The ministry said India has also reiterated its demand for the early discharge of other citizens from the country who have been inducted into the Russian army.

According to the family of Binil Babu, 32, from Thrissur in Kerala, had said that he and a relative had been injured in a drone attack.

The family was later informed that Babu had died and the relative was undergoing treatment after suffering severe injuries.

In a statement on Tuesday, Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said, "We have learnt of the unfortunate death of an Indian national from Kerala who had apparently been recruited to serve in the Russian Army. Another Indian national from Kerala, who was similarly recruited, has been injured and is receiving treatment in a hospital in Moscow."

Jaiswal said India's embassy in Moscow is in touch with both families and is helping them in every possible way.

The ministry is working with the Russian authorities for early transportation of the Babu's body to India and has also sought "early discharge and repatriation to India" of the injured person.

"The matter has been strongly taken up with the Russian authorities in Moscow as well as with the Russian Embassy in New Delhi today. We have also reiterated our demand for the early discharge of the remaining Indian nationals," Jaiswal said.

In October last year, Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri had said 85 Indians had been discharged from the Russian military and efforts were on to secure the release of 20 more.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.