August 19, 2026 03:09 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Jaishankar said USAID allocating $21M for voter turnout in India is 'concerning and worrisome.' (Image courtesy: x.com/DrSJaishankar)

‘Deeply concerning’: Jaishankar says India is probing US claims of $21m USAID funding for voter turnout

| @indiablooms | Feb 22, 2025, at 09:45 pm

New Delhi: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday said the Indian government is investigating claims made by former US President Donald Trump’s administration that the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) allocated $21 million "for voter turnout" in India, media reports said.

He described the allegation as "concerning and worrisome," asserting that USAID was allowed to operate in India in "good faith, not for activities which are in bad faith," reported The Hindustan Times.

"Some information has been put out there by the Trump administration people, and obviously, that is concerning... I think, as a government, we're looking into it. My sense is that the facts will come out... USAID was allowed here in good faith, to do good faith activities; now, suggestions are being laid out from America that there are activities which are in bad faith. It's worrisome, and if there's something to it, then the country should know who the people are involved in it," Jaishankar said at an event in New Delhi, said the report.

MEA calls reports "deeply troubling"

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) also addressed the issue on Friday, stating that reports of USAID's alleged funding had raised "concerns about foreign interference in India's internal affairs."

"We have seen information that has been put out by the US administration regarding certain USA activities and funding. These are obviously very deeply troubling. This has led to concerns about foreign interference in India's internal affairs. Relevant departments and agencies are looking into this matter. It would be premature to make a public comment at this stage, so relevant authorities are looking into it, and hopefully, we can come up with an update on that subsequently," MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said.

DOGE halted USAID funding

The US government's Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), led by Trump’s close associate Elon Musk, recently posted on X that USAID had allocated $21 million for voter turnout in India but said the funding had been cancelled.

Alok, an official associated with the department, alleged that foreign funding had previously flowed into India unchecked, according to the HT report.

"We have already shown that the government got USD 2119 million between 2004-14 and just 1.5 million between 2014-25. We are shutting down these things. The Indian government is now acting, the US government has issued a list of who has got the money from where… This is part of a deep state. The Bharat Jodo Yatra was also being funded from this money," he claimed.

The controversy has sparked debate over potential foreign influence in India's democratic processes, with the government now examining the claims closely.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.