August 19, 2026 01:02 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Chhattisgarh

Chhattisgarh: RTI activist's burnt skeletal remains recovered from forest

| @indiablooms | Dec 25, 2022, at 04:07 pm

Raipur: The burnt skeletal remains of a missing RTI activist were found in a forest in Chhattisgarh’s Kabirdham district, media reports said.

Vivek Chaubey (32), an RTI activist who also worked as a journalist for a local newspaper, had been missing since November 12, according to a report in the media .

Police arrested four people in connection with his murder after an investigation was launched following a missing person’s complaint on November 16.

A cash reward was also announced for information about him, Kabirdham district Superintendent of Police Lal Umed Singh said.

On November 12, he left his home in Kawardha town and did not get back.

Police arrested the Sarpanch of Bokkhari village and his three associates after he roused suspicion with an announcement of a cash reward for leads into the murder.

The accused admitted to committing the murder during interrogation.

"In his statement, the accused sarpanch said Mr Chaubey was with him till late on November 12 night. An argument broke out between them, following which he hit Mr Chaubey on the head with a stick, leading to his death," the SP was quoted as saying in the report.

"The four accused then took the body into the jungle and burnt it using wood. They also dismantled the victim's motorcycle in three parts and buried it in the forest and kept his mobile phone with them," Singh added.

The accused also tried to mislead police by making calls from the victim’s phone from different locations to make it look like he was still alive and, on the move, the SP said.

A case has been registered and further probe is underway, the SP said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.