August 19, 2026 01:24 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Sangama said railway minister would revisit decision in few months but if no resolution is reached funds will need to be returned. (Image credit: x.com/SangamaConrad)

Centre asks Meghalaya to return Rs 200 cr if railway projects not implemented

| @indiablooms | Jan 23, 2025, at 09:01 pm

New Delhi: Amid uncertainty surrounding railway projects in Meghalaya, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma revealed that the state may need to return Rs 200 crore allocated for land acquisition if the matter is not resolved promptly, media reports said

Addressing reporters, Sangma stated that he had discussed the Byrnihat and Shillong railway projects with the Union Railway Minister.

Highlighting the need for stakeholder and public involvement, Sangma emphasised that such initiatives require time.

"I informed the minister that these matters take time," he was quoted as saying by India Today.

The chief minister added that the railway minister would revisit the decision in a few months.

However, if no resolution is reached, the funds will need to be returned.

Previously, the Centre had proposed two railway projects in the state: the 22-km Tetelia-Byrnihat track and the 108-km Byrnihat-Shillong line.

Despite the proposals, the projects have faced a standstill due to strong opposition over concerns about a potential influx into the state.

Meghalaya CM Conrad K Sangma reveals Rs 200 crore allocated for railway projects in Byrnihat and Shillong may be returned if land acquisition challenges remain unresolved. Proposals face delays due to public opposition over influx concerns.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.