May 24, 2026 03:04 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Honoured to visit the Missionaries of Charity today, says Rubio after Kolkata visit, arrives in Delhi | Marco Rubio's India visit begins in Kolkata: Trade, defence and Quad talks take centre stage | Third fuel price hike in India in 10 days: Here’s what you’ll pay now | Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60%
The suspect in the gunfire incident outside the White House was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Photo: X/Videograb.

White House gunfire scare: Suspect shot dead near security checkpoint

| @indiablooms | May 24, 2026, at 09:52 am

A man who opened fire near a security checkpoint outside the White House on Saturday evening was shot dead by United States Secret Service officers after they returned fire, authorities said.

The incident unfolded near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue shortly after 6 p.m. ET.

Suspect pulled weapon from bag

In a preliminary statement, the Secret Service said the suspect removed a weapon from a bag and began firing near the White House perimeter.

Officers immediately responded with gunfire, striking the suspect. He was taken to a hospital, where he later died.

The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation.

Bystander injured in shooting

A bystander was also injured during the exchange of fire. Officials said it remains unclear whether the person was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or by responding officers.

The Secret Service said none of its personnel were injured.

Trump was inside the White House

President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the shooting but was not harmed, the Secret Service confirmed.

Journalists stationed at the White House reported hearing multiple rounds of gunfire and were instructed to take shelter inside the press briefing room.

Dramatic video captures chaos

Selina Wang shared a video on social media showing the moment reporters ducked for cover after hearing what she described as “dozens of gunshots.”

The clip, filmed near the White House media area, quickly spread online and was viewed millions of times.

FBI monitoring situation

Kash Patel said law enforcement agencies were responding to the shooting and promised further updates as the investigation continues.

Crime scene tape, evidence markers and emergency medical supplies were later seen scattered across the sidewalk outside the White House complex.

Third security scare in a month

The shooting marks the third gunfire-related security incident near President Trump in the past month.

In April, authorities said an attempted assassination plot targeted Trump during the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner.

Earlier this month, Secret Service officers exchanged fire with another suspect near the Washington Monument, leaving a teenage bystander injured.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.