May 18, 2026 10:07 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions
WhastApp
WhatsApp says Israeli spyware company targeted its users. Photo Courtesy: Unsplash

WhatsApp says Israeli spyware company targeted its users, including journalists, in over two dozen nations

| @indiablooms | Feb 01, 2025, at 10:26 am

Meta's WhatsApp messenger service fears that around 90 users, including journalists and civil society members, were suspected to be the targets of a spyware campaign conducted by an Israeli spyware company called Paragon Solutions.

WhatsApp spokesperson told NBC News the attack targeted a number of users including journalists and members of civil society “across over two dozen countries, particularly in Europe.”

The spokesperson further said that Paragon Solutions has used a vector, a method to illegally access a network, to target the users and that “the vector involved using groups and sending a malicious PDF file.”

The spokesperson said the company has “successfully disrupted this exploitation vector.”

Following the attempted attacks, WhatsApp reportedly sent a cease-and-desist letter to the company.

The spokesperson told NBC News that those believed to be affected have been notified through WhatsApp chat and have been provided information on how to protect themselves from spyware.

Experts told The Guardian that targeting was a “zero-click” attack, which means targets would not have had to click on any malicious links to be infected.

WhatsApp reportedly notified victims of the attack of alleged hacking.

Journalist Francesco Cancellato says he was targeted

Francesco Cancellato, the editor-in-chief of the Italian online newspaper Fanpage.it, wrote in an article published on his portal that he was one of the victims of the attack.

What did experts say?

John Scott-Railton, a senior researcher at Citizen Lab, told NBC News that a hack such as this one has the ability to “turn a telephone into a spy in your pocket.”

Natalia Krapiva, senior tech-legal counsel at the advocacy group Access Now, wrote on X: "WhatsApp sent a cease-and-desist letter to #Paragon following the spyware attack on the messaging platforms’ users."

"Great to see actions like these by platforms to protect their users’ privacy and security," she said.

Paragon Solutions did not comment on the issue so far.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.