August 23, 2026 08:08 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence
Immigration Protests
Trades workers protest Ontario Immigration Program suspension at Queen’s Park, Toronto. Photo: YouTube Screengrab

'Unfair and Unacceptable': Trades workers protest after Ontario cancels 2,680 immigration applications

| @indiablooms | Nov 21, 2025, at 01:46 am

Toronto/IBNS: Over a hundred skilled trades workers and their supporters gathered for a third consecutive day of protests outside Queen’s Park, Toronto on Wednesday, demanding that the Ontario government reverse its sudden suspension of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).

The province’s decision, announced on November 14, led to the cancellation and return of approximately 2,680 pending applications.

Ontario’s immigration program selects eligible foreign workers and international students for nomination toward permanent residency if they possess “the skills and experience the Ontario economy needs,” the province’s website says.

The government cited systemic misrepresentation and fraud concerns within the Skilled Trades Stream as the reason for the suspension.

This move has left many workers in precarious legal status, uncertain about their future in Ontario.

The OINP’s review found widespread misrepresentation and eligibility fraud that compromised the programme’s integrity and ability to meet labour market needs.

The OINP office said in a statement Friday that it had identified “systemic misrepresentation and/or fraud” related to the Skilled Trades Stream eligibility criteria.

Affected workers have protested at Queen’s Park to urge the government to reconsider the decision and reinstate their applications.

Trades workers protest Ontario Immigration Program suspension at Queen’s Park, Toronto. Photo: YouTube Screengrab

Protesters emphasised that many had been waiting for years, with some already contributing significantly to the provincial economy.

“They have painted all of us with the same brush, so they are telling all of us are frauds,” said protester Shafna Shamsudheen, as quoted by CBC News.

The government has yet to announce plans on how or when the Skilled Trades Stream might be restructured or reinstated.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.