August 18, 2026 05:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

UN mission deplores deadly suicide attack at volleyball game in Afghanistan

| | Sep 29, 2015, at 03:25 pm
New York, Sept 29 (IBNS): The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) condemned Sunday’s suicide attack at a volleyball game in the south-eastern province of Paktika that killed at least 17 civilians and injured at least 60 more, most of them children.


“An attack deliberately targeting a group of civilians playing volleyball is an act bereft of humanity and clearly violates national and international law,” said Tadamichi Yamamoto, the Secretary-General’s Deputy Special Representative and acting head of UNAMA.

“This attack reflects the intent to destroy lives and spread terror among the civilian population.”

According to a news release issued by the Mission, a suicide attacker detonated an improvised explosive device at the event, which took place in Zarghun Shahr district.

The Secretary-General, in a statement issued by his spokesperson, conveyed his deepest sympathy to the families of the victims of Sunday’s attack as well as to those affected by Monday’s attack, claimed by the Taliban, on the northern city of Kunduz.

“Such attacks on civilians and civilian facilities are a clear violation of international human rights and humanitarian law,” said the statement.

A UN report released last month noted that civilians continued to bear the brunt of the Afghan conflict, and projected that casualties will equal or exceed the record high numbers documented last year.

Improvised explosive devices, along with ground engagements, complex and suicide attacks and targeted killings, accounted for the vast majority – 90 per cent – of civilian casualties recorded in the first half of 2015, according to the report.

Photo: Fardin Waezi/UNAMA

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.