August 18, 2026 07:41 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar
This small, pre-Hispanic bowl, believed to be roughly 2,000 years old, is returning to Peru. Photo: RCMP

Canada: RCMP helps return 2,000-year-old Peruvian artefact from Montreal to Peru

| @indiablooms | Aug 18, 2026, at 05:00 am

Ottawa: A pre-Hispanic bowl believed to be about 2,000 years old is being returned to Peru after the Royal Canadian Mounted Police helped facilitate its voluntary recovery and repatriation from a Montreal auction house.

The Nasca-style bowl was identified in late June after being listed for sale as part of a lot of three bowls.

Peruvian authorities recognised its cultural and historical significance and contacted Global Affairs Canada through a diplomatic note requesting its repatriation under the 1970 UNESCO Convention on the illicit trafficking of cultural property.

Following the request, the Montreal auction house agreed to suspend the sale of the artefact.

The bowl had been acquired by the seller through inheritance. After discussions involving the RCMP, Peruvian government representatives and the possessor, the artefact was voluntarily relinquished and placed in RCMP custody.

The RCMP subsequently transferred the bowl to representatives of the Peruvian Consulate in Montreal on July 16, 2026, for its return to Peru.

The possessor was not financially compensated but received a letter of thanks from the Peruvian government.

The recovery was facilitated through the RCMP’s Art Crime and Cultural Heritage Crime initiative, which works with Canadian and international partners to address the illicit movement of cultural property and support the return of culturally significant artefacts to their countries of origin.

No criminal charges were associated with the recovery or repatriation.

“The bowl itself may be small, but it is part of a much larger story which informs the history of Peru and its people,” RCMP Financial Crime Director Inspector Dawn Morris-Little said. “It is satisfying for us to contribute to its safe return.”

Morris-Little said the repatriation demonstrated the importance of cooperation among law enforcement agencies, governments, cultural institutions and private individuals.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.