August 18, 2026 02:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar

IS claims responsibility for suicide attack in Kabul

| @indiablooms | Jun 05, 2018, at 03:34 pm

Kabul, June 5 (IBNS): Terrorist group Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the suicide attack in Afghanistan capital Kabul on Monday, media reports said on Tuesday.

"The group issued a statement online after the attack left several people dead or wounded at the end of the religious scholars gathering in Kabul," reported Khaama Press.

The Taliban had earlier rejected their involvement in the incident.

At least 14 people were killed during a suicide attack on a congregation of religious scholars in Kabul.

Among the deceased are seven religious scholars and four security guards.

Three others have not yet been identified.

Reports said that the incident took place after a suicide bomber detonated his explosive device  near a religious gathering.

Over 2,000 religious scholars had gathered at Polytechnic University in Kabul, condemning the ongoing war in Afghanistan.

The explosion took place while they were leaving, witnesses said.

UN condemns attack:

United Nations chief António Guterres has condemned Monday’s suicide attack in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, that reportedly killed at least seven religious scholars who had gathered from across the country to promote peace.

“The Secretary-General reiterates that no cause can justify such violence. Targeting civilians in this way is a clear violation of international law, including international human rights law,” said a statement issued by his Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric.

According to media reports, about 2,000 members of the religious body, known as the Afghan Ulema Council, had gathered at a tented facility, and the explosion near the venue’s entrance caused many causalities, claiming the lives of only clerics, but also security officers and civilians.

“The Secretary-General extends his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wishes a speedy recovery to those injured. The United Nations stands with the people and Government of Afghanistan as they endeavor to build a peaceful future for their country,” the statement said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.