August 18, 2026 03:49 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

At least 80 killed, 320 injured in Kabul suicide car attack in diplomatic zone

| | May 31, 2017, at 07:40 pm
Kabul, May 31 (IBNS) : The death toll in a massive suicide car bomb blast that ripped through Kabul's diplomatic quarter Wednesday has climbed to at least 80 while 320 people, including women and children, were left injured, reports said.

The blast took place  at around 08 30 am on Wazir Akbar Khan road close to the Zanbaq square- Kabul's high security diplomatic area where the Indian embassy and several other diplomatic missions are located.

Al Jazeera quoted police and health official sources as saying that  least 80 people were killed and more than 300 wounded in the attack. The death toll was expected to rise.

Other media reports also quoted Afghanistan health ministry spokesman Wahid Majroh as saying that the toll is  80, though the state-run Khaama Press put the number of dead at 64.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also condemned the bomb blast in Kabul and underlined the need for defeating forces supporting terrorism. The PM, who is in Spain on a visit, said India stands with Afghanistan in fighting all forms of terrorism.

“We strongly condemn the terrorist blast in Kabul. Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with the injured,” Modi tweeted on Wednesday.

The powerful blast damaged windows and doors of the Indian embassy but External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted that all officials are safe.

"By God's grace, Indian Embassy staff are safe in the massive blast," Swaraj tweeted.

Most of the victims are reported to be civilians.

Local TV channels showed the damaged buildings and cars on the blast site with a huge plumage of smoke hanging in the air.

Similar incidents have taken place in Afghanistan in the past few months.

Earlier this month, at least eight people were killed after militants targeted a NATO convoy while it was passing the US embassy.

No group has claimed responsibility so far.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.