August 18, 2026 03:49 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

At least 60 killed or injured in Kabul suicide car explosion near Indian embassy

| | May 31, 2017, at 05:55 pm
Kabul, May 31 (IBNS): At least 60 people have been reportedly killed or injured in a suicide car attack on Wednesday morning in Kabul's high security diplomatic area where the Indian embassy is located, reports said.

The powerful blast damaged windows and doors of the Indian embassy but External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted that all officials are safe.

"By God's grace, Indian Embassy staff are safe in the massive blast," Swaraj tweeted.

The blast took place on Wazir Akbar Khan Road close to the Zanbaq Square. The spot is  outside the German Embassy and very close to the Indian Embassy. Several other foreign embassies are also located in the area.

“Massive VBIED (Vehicle-borne improvised explosive device) not too far from our Embassy,” Indian ambassador in Kabul Manpreet Vohra said.

Earlier, the Afghan Ministry of Interior spokesman Najib Danish said that a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle filled with explosives.

About 60 injured people were admitted to nearby hospitals after the blast, local TV channel Tolo News quoted health officials as saying.

The exact figure of casualty is yet to be established.

Local TV channels showed the damaged buildings and cars on the blast site with a huge plumage of smoke hanging in the air.

Similar incidents have taken place in Afghanistan in the past few months.

Earlier this month, at least eight people were killed after militants targeted a NATO convoy while it was passing the US embassy.

No group has claimed responsibility so far.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.