August 18, 2026 11:12 pm (IST)
After deadly attack, UN urges safety for displaced in CAR
New York, Apr 30 (IBNS): At least two people were killed and six others injured in the Central African Republic (CAR) after an attack on an 18-truck humanitarian convoy relocating 1,300 Muslims to safety in the country's north, a spokesperson for the United Nations refugee agency on Tuesday confirmed, renewing calls for protection of displaced people.
“The convoy, heading for Kabo and Moyen in the north, was hit by a grenade believed to have been thrown by anti-balaka militiamen,” UNHCR spokesperson Fatoumata Lejeune told journalists in Geneva, referring to Monday’s attack believed to have been carried out by the mostly Christian armed group.
The anti-balaka, which translates as “machete proof,” are fighting mostly Muslim Séléka rebels who led a 2012 coup. Since then, hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced and 2.2 million are in desperate need of humanitarian aid.
“UNHCR condemns the attack and offers its condolences to the victims’ families. It underscores the need to provide physical protection to displaced communities at risk,” said Lejeune.
According to information from the UN agency, the 18-truck convoy was moving people previously trapped in the troubled PK 12 neighbourhood of the war-torn capital, Bangui, where they fled to escape inter-communal violence.
However, PK 12 later came under threat, leaving the displaced in constant fear of attacks without enough food and living in squalid conditions because of lack of sanitation facilities. The move came at the request of the people themselves. This was the second relocation operation from PK 12, following the movement of 93 people, including 35 children, to Bambari on April 20.
The convoy has since continued its journey to Kaga Bandoro, where injured received medical assistance.
“A UNHCR team accompanying the convoy reported that three babies have so far been born during the journey,” said Lejeune.
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Latest Headlines
Indian-origin industrialist Lakshmi Mittal’s Ukraine steel plant hit by Russian strike, 2 killed, 13 injured
Mon, Aug 17 2026
One of Kyiv's largest aerial attacks:Russia claims 822 Ukrainian drones downed, apocalyptic blaze videos go viral
Sun, Aug 16 2026
One of Kyiv's largest aerial attacks:Russia claims 822 Ukrainian drones downed, apocalyptic blaze videos go viral
Sun, Aug 16 2026
Russia launches fresh wave of strikes on Ukraine, 3 killed
Sun, Aug 16 2026
Who is Jason Arday? Former Cambridge professor found dead days after resignation amid plagiarism row
Sat, Aug 15 2026
Cambridge University appointed academic who backed 'terrorist' group Hizb ut-Tahrir
Thu, Aug 13 2026
North Korea fires ballistic missile towards East Sea ahead of major South Korea-US exercise
Wed, Aug 12 2026
Bashar al-Assad sentenced to death by Syrian Court for war crimes
Tue, Aug 11 2026
