August 18, 2026 03:49 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Afghan Defense Minister and Army chief resign days after Taliban attack on Army base

| | Apr 24, 2017, at 06:28 pm
Kabul, Apr 24 (IBNS) : The Afghan defense minister Abdullah Habibi and the Afghan national army chief of staff Qadam Shah Shaheem have resigned from their post, state news agency Khamaa press said on Monday.

The Office of the President, ARG Palace, said “Defence Minister Abdullah Habibi & Army Chief of Staff Qadam Shah Shahim stepped down with immediate effect.”

The two senior officials have apparently stepped down following a deadly attack on Shaheen Army Corps in Balkh province.

This comes as the Afghan lawmakers on Sunday decided to summon the defense minister, A decision by that was taken after a deadly attack on the 209th Shaheen Corps of the Afghan National Army in northern Balkh province.

The attack was launched on Friday noon as hundreds of Afghan soldiers had attended the Friday prayers.

A group of at least ten Taliban insurgents reportedly stormed the base by initially launching a suicide attack and allowing the remaining militants to start shooting spree.

The exact number of the casualties has not been announced by the security officials so far but reports indicate more than 100 soldiers and officers lost their lives in the attack.

Image: Screen Grab from YouTube

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.