February 21, 2026 04:57 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

UN chief ‘deeply concerned’ by military escalation in northwest Syria

| @indiablooms | Feb 02, 2020, at 05:11 pm

New York/IBNS: The UN Secretary-General has called for an immediate cessation of hostilities in northwest Syria.

António Guterres is "deeply concerned" about the ongoing military operation in the region, according to a statement issued on Saturday by his spokesperson.

Hundreds of thousands of people in Idlib province have been fleeing towards Turkey as Government forces attack the last major stronghold held by the opposition, according to media reports.

The Secretary-General underlined that attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure, such as healthcare facilities, are unacceptable.

"Military operations of all parties, including actions against and by designated terrorist groups, must respect the rules and obligations of international humanitarian law, which include the protection of civilians and civilian objects," the statement said.

The UN chief reiterated that there is no military solution to the conflict.

The violence in northwest Syria over the past week has uprooted  6,500 children every day, according to the UN children's agency, UNICEF, with more than 300,000 children displaced overall since early December.

“UNICEF estimates that 1.2 million children are in desperate need. Food, water and medicine are in short supply," Executive Director Henrietta  Fore said on Saturday, in calling for an end to the fighting.

"Children and families are taking refuge in public facilities, schools, mosques, unfinished buildings and shops. Many are simply living in the open air including in parks, amidst heavy rains and in the freezing cold."

UN Humanitarian Coordinator Mark Lowcock told the Security Council on Wednesday that the fighting in Idlib appeared “more intense than anything we have seen in the last year”.

He reported that humanitarian organizations have provided food to more than 1.4 million civilians as well as health supplies to treat nearly 200,000.


Photo caption and credit:
UNICEF
A hospital for women and children in Idlib, Syrian Arab Republic, lies severely damaged by air strikes that came in the early morning hours.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.