February 21, 2026 04:57 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Image credit:Xinhua/UNI

Russian national hailing Christchurch terrorist attack gets 30-month prison sentence: FSB

| @indiablooms | Jan 29, 2020, at 11:19 pm

Omsk/Sputnik: A man in the Siberian city of Omsk has been sentenced to two years and six months for publicly expressing his approval of last year's terrorist attack in New Zealand, the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) said on Wednesday.

According to the FSB, the 47-years-old Omsk resident, Dmitry Pavelchuk, praised mass killings on social media. He was charged under two articles of Russia’s criminal code — making public calls for terrorism and justifying terrorism online. The charges presuppose up to seven years in prison.

"He was sentenced to 2 years 6 months in a penal colony and is prohibited from engaging in activities related to the placement of appeals to the public and other materials for 2 years 6 months ... on the Internet," FSB told Sputnik. Pavelchuk pleaded guilty and thus received a shorter sentence. He was taken into custody in the courtroom.

On March 15, New Zealand was rocked by two mass shootings at Al Noor Mosque and the Linwood Islamic Center in the central city of Christchurch. The tragedy left 51 people dead and approximately 50 others injured. The Australian attacker, Brenton Tarrant, 28, live-streamed the massacre on Facebook, and the video subsequently spread on other digital platforms.

Image credit:Xinhua/UNI

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.